Monday, April 6, 2009

4/2 The Hospital

The morning of surgery was an early one. We got to the hospital by 5:30 a.m. on Thursday and started almost immediately with gowns, IVs, and the like. By 7:00 I was unconscious. I have very vague recollections of saying bye to Scott in the hallway. I don't remember coming to, being in the recovery area, or seeing Scott again. I don't even remember what I remember first. But, all went well! The only surprise of the surgery was when my surgeon discovered that I have significant gallstones which might mean a later gallbladder surgery.

Recovery was steady. I was walking by Thursday afternoon. I had a swallow test on Friday morning to check for leaks in the new pouch that is my tiny (golf-ball size) stomach. I started on liquids (1 ounces cups of grape juice). Lots of family and friends stopped by. I was still bit drugged and worn-down but it was great to have every one's support.

I graduated to thick liquids by Saturday. I was a bit stir-crazy and spent a good bit of time every hour walking the halls. I was able to shower by myself (something I was warned I might not be able to do). After a purred lunch (not a fan of purred meats!) I was discharged.

We spent the afternoon visiting with neighbors and watching basketball. (Who am I kidding? Scott watched the game, I tuned it out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment